Friday, February 13, 2015



“Trees were so rare in that country, and they had to make such a hard fight to grow, 

that we used to feel anxious about them, and visit them as if they were persons.” 

from My Antonia

 by Willa Cather



My latest photos are from a trip to visit our friends that live in Southern 
Alberta. They live in the true prairie in an area fringed by the nearby 
Drumheller Badlands. And while I love the Aspen Parkland where we 
have built our cabin among the sloughs and the poplars. I will always
 love watching the movement of the clouds, the wind, the shadows,  
the seasons and the migrations that move across the endless sky and 
the vast fields of the open prairie. These photo stem from 
a trip to explore a road cut on the edge of the Badlands.








I am bound to the earth by a web of stories,
just as I am bound to the creation by the very substance and
rhythms of my flesh. By keeping the stories fresh, I keep the places
themselves alive in my imagination. Living in me, borne in mind, these
places make up the landscape on which I stand with familiiarity and 
pleasure, the landscape over which I walk even when my feet are still."

 from Telling the Holy
    by Scott Russell Saunders









6 comments:

WildBill said...

The stark countryside here displays its own beauty. It is the emptiness that makes it so sublime. It is the contrast in colors that seems to give it life. No doubt this barren land holds many secrets and mysteries.

Julie G. said...

Resplendent images of beautiful scenes! These photographs are especially enjoyable to view on this cold, gray winter day.

Guy said...

Hi Bill

Yes it can seem stark and empty. But I am fortunate that my friend is a naturalist who has spent most of his life in southern Alberta so I have a great guide. This is a very rich ecosystem if you know where to look and what to look for. Also the area has a rich cultural history, so between nature, dinosaurs, and archaeology it is an area I really enjoy.

Regards
Guy

Guy said...

Thanks Julie

I am glad you enjoyed the photos. This is a great area for long vista's and huge sky effects so there is lots to take photographs of.

Regards
Guy

Kathie Brown said...

Guy, what wonderful scenery! What wonderful words! I have read My Antonia a long time ago, but I have never heard of Telling the Holy or Scott Russel Saunders. I love his words.

Guy said...

Thanks Kathie

I always enjoy the blue green colours of the badlands and the shot of yellow leaves is hard to resist.

Guy