Friday, October 14, 2016

Venice

“Memory's images, once they are fixed in words, are erased," Polo said. "Perhaps I am afraid of losing Venice all at once, if I speak of it, or perhaps, speaking of other cities, I have already lost it, little by little.”

from Invisible Cites 
By Italio Calvino


My wife and I spent 8 days at the beginning of Oct. in Venice a trip she has been planning for years. It exceeded our expectations and will be the subject of many posts. To start, we saw


Grand Canals






lovely but less grand canals




Winged Lions, Helen loves winged lions.


Venice from the tower at San Giorgio Maggiore.




The Doge's Palace, truly amazing.




The last evening of this trip, The Campo San Polo.



 And Polo said: 'Every time I describe a city I am saying 
something about Venice.” 

from Invisible Cites 
By Italio Calvino







3 comments:

Bill said...

Beautiful. I've often heard it called the most beautiful city in the world.

Guy said...

Hi Bill

it was certainly amazing, the sheer amount of art in the churches and guild halls. The intersection of water and city, the old building, narrow streets and the absence of cars and large retailers made it a beautiful city to visit.

Regards
Guy

Guy said...

Hi Bill

I am unsure of how to leave comments on your site. The post about your sister was beautiful. I also enjoyed the post about the blueberries. After two summers at the cabin I have learned to appreciate how berry season looms large in the area. We do not have blueberries, but pin cherries, when we are lucky, Saskatoons, chokecherries, and the garden's raspberries and currents keep us in touch with the seasons, the passage of time and the animals that we share them with whether we like it or not.

Guy