Friday, July 7, 2017

Franklins amid the moths


"I lean at rest, and drain the heat;
Nay more, I think some blessèd power
Hath brought me wandering idly here:
In the full furnace of this hour
My thoughts grow keen and clear."

from Heat
by Archibald Lampman

Very hot here today.

              Wednesday evening we noticed a small flock of Franklin Gulls
swooping through the meadow and skimming over the tops of
the poplars. You can see the trees on the left are green and 
heathy, these were the trees the gulls were attending. The distant
trees on the right were stripped early in the spring by Tent Caterpillers.
They are just starting to green up now. However using binoculars my
wife could see that a large concentration of the moths had appeared
above the green trees nearby and these were the targets of the gulls.
This behaviour continued for about 30 minutes.










All things are plotting to make us whole 
All things conspire to make us one.

Gwendolyn MacEwen

No comments: